Wednesday 30 October 2013

Remembrance and the oldest Republic

Today was again quite calm when compared to my days in Rome. But is one that will stick in my mind for a while to come. First was the trip to the Canadian war graves at Moro River. As you will remember from yesterdays blog, I was in the town of Ortona, an important Battlefield from WWII, and a place of significance for Canadians due to the involvement of Canadian troops. The grave we went to contained 1350 dead Canadian soldiers. But of more significance to me there was 42 NZ soldiers. Note anyone who knows me knows I am pretty intolerant to the idea of war, and with the exception of Gallipoli and Auschwitz (not a battle sight), I don't go to places for its war history. However, when it so happens I am at a war grave I will pay my respects. So no matter the time it takes I will always acknowledge every NZ by stopping at the grave and reading it and allowing the dead a moment of my time. It is the least I can do for the sacrifice they made. These are my countrymen and although I don't live in NZ, it is my home unquestionably, and this will never change.
After Tyler and I had finished, our journey began to San Marino. We decided to avoid the till motorway and take the coastal road. This was horribly slow with little view of the Adriatic. Instead it was a collection of towns that just moulded into one long line of dated buildings that seemed to go on forever. Eventually we could not stand the Italian drivers, the unnecessary traffic lights and the low speed limits so took the financial hit and jumped on the highway, and boy was this faster and I got to see the coast!!!
We eventually got to San Marino, the world's oldest Republic that has a constitution from 1253 that is still in use today. And what a worthwhile trip. If you get to Italy and don't visit San Marino also, you have truely missed out. Although located fully inside Italy, this country is nothing like Italy to look at. First it is clean! The Old Town was like stepping into a fairytale. Stunning. And being on top of a mountain, the views are incredible. Definitely one of the best Urban areas I have been to in Europe. And I have only seen the old town area in dusk and nightfall. What added to the charm was the clouds that would sweep over the town, and feeling the dew on the face as the cloud drifted around me. For once I am excited to get up early to see all I can before we have to head to Florence. I will miss the charm of this place.

Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment