Saturday 4 January 2014

Sir Ulrich von Liechtenstein - my favourite Liechtenstein

After a nice new years I head to Zürich. I am treating this place as a base only to get to Liechtenstein and München, and get some needed rest.
My first impressions of the city was of surprise. It is more attractive than I thought. And the city centre is more based on the river opposed to the lake. Like all Switzerland it seems, there are views of the Alps.
I however, bring tired, started my time here going to the hostel to chill and sleep. The next morning I wake up all excited. It was the day I would visit my 50th country. In fact, since moving to Europe 4 years ago (and a few weeks) I have been to 49 different countries, as well as visiting some favourites a number of times.
But back to 50. Liechtenstein. Not the cheapest place to get too. About 60 euros return. Unfortunately, it failed to live up to any expectations. The city of Vaduz, the capital was a mish mash of ugly modern architecture and old rural style buildings from way back. There didn't seem much planning involved. After the war they decided to move away from agriculture, and so buildings shot up. In fact I had read the city lacked a soul.
There is a castle on a hill that the head of state, the Prince lives in. But you can only see the outside, as it is obviously someone's house.
From what i have read, the more rural areas have more charm add they are up in the mountains. But the poor weather, and expense to travel around put me of much more exploration, so instead headed back to Zürich disappointed.
Today I did a walking tour of Zürich. The tour guide was a historian, so expected done good stories, but his information was rather shallow. He made a big deal about the reformation due to a guy called Svingly. Maybe I am wrong but was curious as to how important he was outside Zürich and Switzerland as I have heard of Calvin and Luther, but not this guy. Maybe a historian can tell me. I saw where both Lenin and Einstein studied and where Lenin lived before the Germans sent him to Russia to overthrow the democratic revolution of Russia. Another regrettable decision I'd imagine.
A nice city with some character. If I had the motivation would probably have tried to do more. Oh well. Of to München before going back to normality in Stockholm.

Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment